Why Do I Need A Music Licence?

27 Nov 2013

So, Why do I need a music licence? This question crosses a lot of business owners minds when thinking about music in your business – Why? What exactly is it that I’m paying for? Do you have to have a music licence?

The simple answer if you want to play recorded music, radio or even TV in your business or in any kind of workplace, is yes – it’s the law.

There are two different types of music licence available; these are obtained from two separate organisations: PRS and PPL, and generally you will require one from both.

PRS collects and distributes money for the writers, composers, authors and publishers – for any music played that is written by a signed or PRS registered artists, you will require a PRS licence, even if it is performed by an unsigned artist.

PPL then collects and distributes money for the performers of music. Therefore a PPL licence is then also required if you want to play copyrighted music, i.e. music performed by a signed or PPL registered band or artist – this includes anything played by commercial radio or on film or television.

The only instance where you won’t require either licence is if you want to play solely unsigned or ‘royalty-free’ music performed by an unsigned artist or band, though some musicians may eventually become signed meaning you will no longer be able to play their music without a licence.

Although confusing, it is essential to know about these licences to ensure you are playing your music legally!

We hope you found this post useful. If you’ve got any questions regarding music licences the PRS website is: www.prsformusic.com and PPL is: www.ppluk.com.

Be sure to check out our Twitter and Facebook pages to keep up to date with all Muzo’s muzings.